Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fangs optional

Please forgive my geeky sidetrack here, but I'm getting very excited for November 21st.

I love to read, and when I find a new series, I tend to get a bit obsessed. Such was this case this summer when I finally read Twilight. I was down the shore, and I had to go to the bookstore twice to pick up the sequels.

My excuse? The kids. My female students begged me to read them. Really.

At any rate, my favorite character by far is Alice Cullen. She is awesome in ways that Tonks wishes that she could be. We don't get to see her wedding to Jasper, but in my mind it would be something like this:



Alice loves all things high fashion, and can also see the future. Jasper is much more quiet, and can sense and alter people's moods. They're vampires, but I don't see either of them as very dark. Jasper's unhappy and violent past aside, they are about perception and subtlety.

I love this dress. I am also in love with gold as the only color. With gold and white you could create some major drama, which is the other thing Alice is all about.

So what about you? Are you a Twilight fanatic? If so, did you hate Breaking Dawn, too?

2 comments:

Crys said...

This is so pretty. I think you should give Breaking Dawn another chance, though. Reading Stephanie Meyer's FAQ about it really made me appreciate the novel more, once you realize that she started writing Twilight for herself and not an audience of millions. I wouldn't want to kill any of my friends off, either. Plus, she had the majority of the plot written before Twilight was even published! Just my two cents.. :)

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/bd_faq.html

nittanysam said...

I know... I know... I just feel like it would have been so much better had she gone the Hamlet route. There is a reason more people read Hamlet than the Merchant of Venice. I'm reminded of the movie Stranger than Fiction. Once Emma Thompson's character makes her decision, the book is the worse for it. It was a fine book, but it could have been Literature.

I know that's snotty of me. I just felt like part of what made Twilight so great was its authenticity. Then, throughout the rest of the series, you could watch Stephenie struggle with the idea that people are reading what she originally wrote just for herself. She needed to hide it better.

I think that I was also just hoping for another Hallows, and was obviously disappointed.