Friday, March 6, 2009

I believe in a thing called love

I'm not so solid on everything else, but the ceremony is one of those things that is oddly important to me.

Boy and I have been clear on a couple of things since before we were officially engaged, but most of all we knew that we wanted our ceremony to be personal and meaningful. For both of us, that meant having someone we knew officiate.

We did not want some random minister joining us together for life. I was raised Catholic, but I don't feel obligated to do the whole church thing, and I sure as all heck was not up for Pre-Cana (the pre-marriage counseling required by 99.9% of Catholic churches. They frown upon the whole "living in sin" thing). At the same time, I want our ceremony to have a spiritual (if not distincly religious) feel to it, so I did not want just anyone doing the deed.

It did not take Boy and I much brainstorming to come up with the answer to our officiant question. The night we were offically engaged, one of Boy's first calls was to his older brother. Ry is Boy's only older brother, and he's what I refer to as a "grown up," which means a person about three years older than me. No matter how old I am.

Ry is the most spiritually connected person I know. He has gone on several mission trips since finding his faith and turning his life around for the better. I am not a very religious person, but I can get behind anything that creates positive change in your life.

Thankfully, Ry was not only agreeable, he seemed touched that we thought of him. He is currently studying from his pastor to be ordained.

For those of you who have been thinking about going the same road, you should know that in our great state of Pennsylvania, those handy online certificates do not hold up as legal. The person who marries you must be connected to a parish that has parishoners (people that go to it). That seemed like a hurdle for us at first, but thankfully Ry is willing to take the next step. :)

What about you? What is/was the most important part of your ceremony?

No comments: